Monday, January 11, 2010

Welcome to My New and Improved Blog!

I hope to post pictures of my projects here. What I'd really like to do is create a record of everything that I've made over the years, so I can share my projects with my family and friends. We'll see how motivated I'll be when it comes to scanning old photos and documenting each project. I've made a LOT of things in my lifetime!

Primarily, I'm a quilter. I quilt for myself and for others. However, my first real hobby was knitting; I learned how to knit when I was in sixth grade, and I finished several projects before I set my needles aside for 17 years. I learned how to crochet twice in my life. The first time, I was only five years old, and my mom taught me to crochet left-handed (since she was a lefty). I did very well, but like a typical five-year-old, I lost interest when the weather turned sunny. I didn't pick up crocheting again until I was 14, and I used to spend hours working on my afghans while talking to my mom. Those were very happy times for me. Mom died in late 1992, and I still miss those chats.

Mom taught me how to quilt in 1982, and I finished my first quilt the following year. It took me a while, because I didn't chose an easy pattern. I chose a modified version of Grandmother's Flower Garden. That's right. Hexagons! It isn't pretty, it isn't perfect, but I still love that quilt.

No comments: