Tuesday, January 26, 2010

More Notes About My Hobbies

Since I've returned to knitting and crocheting, it doesn't seem entirely appropriate to keep my business name as my "handle" for the different communities I visit in the yarn world. However, my quilting identity is a huge part of who I am, so I'm not going to change anything at this point. If you've found this blog through Ravelry or Knitting Community, WELCOME! I'm glad you're here.

I keep pretty busy with my children and my college classes, so I probably won't blog here every day. I'll do my best, though. I enjoy sharing my hobbies with others.

My current knitting projects include a cabled scarf and my "grandchild afghan project." I purchased half a dozen different types of luxury yarn recently, and I'm going to knit a doll afghan out of each skein. Those will be washed in the washer and dryer, then given to my youngest daughters (ages 3 and 2) to use with their baby dolls. Whichever yarn holds up the best under all of that abuse will be the one I use for my grandchildren's baby afghans.

I'm teaching my oldest daughter (age 10) how to knit, and she's going to help me create those doll afghans. They don't need to be perfect, which make them ideal practice pieces for her.

For crocheting, I'm working on a bed afghan for myself and my husband, as well as baby afghans for my above-mentioned preschool daughters. Yes, I'm behind schedule on those! They will be big enough for the girls to use for a few more years, assuming that I get them done in a reasonable amount of time. Now that I've been crocheting more often, it shouldn't be too difficult for me to finish them.

I'm also making a small crocheted blanket for one of my new kittens. We adopted two kittens yesterday. The lady at the humane society put a crocheted blanket in with the male kitten but didn't add one to the female kitten's box. I'm copying the pattern and using a purple ombre for her blanket right now. When I finish it, I'll make one for the male cat. My goal is to return the blanket that the humane society sent home, since I'm more than capable of creating one myself. Since it's a quick and easy pattern, I plan to create an extra one, so I can give the humane society two blankets (the borrowed one and a new one). It's the least I can do for all of the homeless cats here in town.

I won't bother to list all of the quilting projects I have going on right now. Suffice to say, I have enough quilt kits to keep me busy for at least the next three or four years. Probably enough to last a full decade, to be completely honest. It's nice to be able to find something to work on, no matter what I'm in the mood to create on any given day.

Lastly, I'm working on creating a scrapbooking space in my quilting loft upstairs. I love scrapbooking, but it's painful to get all of my tools out every single time I have a few minutes to sit down and work. I haven't worked out all of the details yet, but I am working on it.

Pictures will be posted soon. Thanks for visiting my new blog!

No comments: