Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Broken needle!

Tonight, I was finally able to spend some time quilting. I am almost finished with my second son's queen-sized quilt, so there I was, zipping along, when I heard a horrible noise.

My needle broke in three places. The pattern just happened to hit one of those intersections where six pieces of fabric meet, and since I didn't have that particular intersection ironed completely flat, the needle caught and broke.

Unlike a normal sewing machine, when a needle breaks on a longarm quilting machine, you can't just replace the needle and start sewing again. You have to replace the needle and re-time the machine, which takes about an hour for someone like me, who doesn't have to do it very often. It's not very fun, but it's better to spend that hour now than break even more components (and possibly ruin a quilt) later.

I hate when stuff like this happens, especially when I'm finally making good progress on my quilts. It's not something that I could do when I'm tired and unable to see clearly, since it's fairly complicated. I hated having to shut down before I was ready to do so, but that's life.

I did a couple of rows of knitting on my mystery shawl, and I'm about to price out components for my bicycle. I need to get that bicycle up and running again, because summer will be here before I know it, and I want to be able to do a week-long bicycle tour in July. Lots of work ahead of me for that, but it will be worth it!

No comments: